This five-mile section known as the Racecourse is our most popular half-day trip on the Rio Grande. Ranging from a wild class III-IV ride during the spring high-water to a more technical and demanding class III run as the water goes down and the rocks come up in summer.
Rio Chama Multi-Day Rafting
- Person Ages 10+
- NOW $400 Was $629
Enjoy this all-inclusive trip:
Rafting down the famous Rio Chama on a Multi-Day Adventure (3 days 2 nights) with Kokopelli Rafting/Durango Rivertrippers.
Get ready for a nice relaxing three-day adventure down the mighty Rio Chama River.
Our day 1 launch point is at El Vado Ranch at 3150 NM-112, Tierra Amarilla, NM 87575 by 11:00 am, a beautiful spot with a nice old western feel. After pushing off we will float down the Rio Chama River and go through Aragon Rapid a Class II to start the day. Around mid day we will stop for a nice riverside lunch before continuing down river to our first camp. After setting up camp, while our guides prepare dinner sit back and enjoy the breathtaking scenery and sunset before the stars come out.
Wake up to a warm cup of coffee or tea while breakfast is being prepared. After breakfast, we will continue down river stopping for some short side hikes to explore the area before getting to camp 2. Once at camp feel free to explore some more of the area around camp.
Start the final day with some hearty breakfast and hot coffee or tea before pushing off for our last day on the water. We will travel through some whitewater full of class II-III rapids as we push into the headwaters of Abiquiu upper Reservoir where we exit the canyon and arrive at the take-out. We will load our vehicle and head back to our meeting point to drop you off at your vehicles.
- *Please arrive 15 minutes early* To ensure your adventure runs smoothly
- Pack light! To Ensure all of your personal gear can fit in our provided dry bag (110L bills bag)
- Keep daily used items separate to put into a small easily accessible dry bag (Chapstick, sunscreen, medication, camera, etc.)
- Nights by the water get cold bring proper clothing
- Days are hot and long, stay hydrated bring a water bottle and protection from the sun
- If you get cold easily bring a warm sleeping bag
- Bring your favorite non-perishable snacks to enjoy in between meals
- If you meet us at the Put-in be prepared to pay in cash for your vehicle to get shuttled to the take-out. The shuttle is through Coopers El Vada Ranch. Durango Rivertrippers has nothing to do with the shuttle of your vehicle.