This five-mile section known as the Racecourse is our most popular half-day trip on the Rio Grande. Ranging from a wild class III-IV ride during the spring high-water to a more technical and demanding class III run as the water goes down and the rocks come up in summer.
Rio Grande Taos Box Full Day
- Taos Box Guest Ages 13+
Experience Taos Box Rafting Full Day with Kokopelli Rafting Adventures
This is a perfect introduction to rafting!
The “Taos Box,” is the premier one-day wilderness trip on the Rio Grande, and contains the most advanced class IV whitewater in New Mexico. This 15-mile trip starts just northwest of Taos at the historic John Dunn Bridge. We started the day with a float through relatively calm water for a few miles as we enter into the canyon. Downstream are the demanding class III-IV rapids, including Ski Jump, Dead Car, and Powerline Falls. As the gorge narrows the whitewater will increase. We will still have the time to look around at the beauty of northern New Mexico. With the wildlife along the shores keep an eye out for some bighorn Sheep, eagles, and more.
The last two-and-a-half miles are known as the “Rio Bravo,” or wild river, section, this is where we get to enjoy multiple class IV rapids before we catch our breath, ending with Sunset Rapid. This river rafting trip is demanding but unsurpassed in its combination of excitement and wild beauty.
More tour details
- Safety orientation
- PFD’s Personal Flotation Device aka Life Jackets, sorry no personal PFD’s allowed
- Transportation to and from the river
- River side lunch
- Please no flip-flops or sandals.
- Sturdy footwear like old tennis shoes work great we also rent river shoes.
- Our Rafts have little storage, please leave all personal or valuable items in the hotel room or vehicle.
- Wallets, keys, and phones can be left in your vehicle or with our sales staff.
- Sign the digital waiver ASAP for everyone in the group. Look for an email called “DUE NOW ~ Waiver Link ~ Sign TODAY” (this may end up in your junk folder).
- Please arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled adventure time at
- Parking is available at our location.
- Restrooms & changing areas are available
- For sanitation reasons, shirts must be worn under life jackets aka PFD’s.